The Housing Connections Program, launched in 2016 as the Landlord Engagement Program, has served 49 households. Housing Connections works with landlords and low- to moderate-income Howard County residents to support both parties during the tenancy search and initial lease term. This results in stable housing for families, landlords receiving timely rent payments, a liaison as needed, and home visits to the residence to ensure engagement with the tenant and maintenance of the home.
Families that are struggling with high rent burdens can work with the Housing Connections Program Manager to locate a unit that will fit their needs and receive ongoing housing and employment services to increase income, explore career objectives, and set housing stability goals. Housing Connections also provides similar services to currently housed tenants that are facing challenges remaining stably housed.
The Benefits for landlords include:
- Timely rent payments;
- Access to program liaison to address tenant concerns;
- Every other month home visits to check on the welfare of tenant and maintenance of unit;
- Lower costs: NO advertising costs and lower turnover rate.
Landlords or realtors interested in joining Housing Connections or learning more about the program are encouraged to call Program manager, Kim Pace at (443) 518-7661 for more details.
The Benefits for tenants include:
- Assistance with finding a rental unit that fits your needs;
- Financial assistance with move-in costs;
- Liaison to work with you and landlord through any concerns;
- Employment Retention Specialist to work on career goals and increasing income;
- Program manager to research and provide resources when needed as tenant identifies and works toward goals;
- Tenant Success Certificate Program.
To be eligible for the Housing Connections program, a household must earn between 30% and 60% of Area Median Income. Income is measured based on household size, as shown below. For example, a 4-person household must earn between $34,670 and $69,340.
Contact the Program Manager
To learn more about the Housing Connections program, contact Program Manager, Kim Pace, via email or at (443) 518-7661.