Educate yourself on the current state of homelessness in our backyard and across our country:
- Today April 11th, marks the 50th anniversary of the signing into law of the FHA. The passage of this legislation was a pivotal moment in the civil rights movement, formally ending housing discrimination and calling for affirmatively furthering fair housing through the creation of diverse and integrated communities. Read the op-ed “The fierce urgency of fair and affordable homes” by Derrick Johnson, president and CEO of the NAACP, and Diane Yentel, president and CEO of NLIHC, commemorating the 50th anniversary of the Fair Housing Act (FHA) calling for its robust implementation. The op-ed can be found at:https://washex.am/2EDgruo
- The National Low Income Housing Coalition (NLIHC) report The Gap: A Shortage of Affordable HomesT, reveals that In no state or major metropolitan area is there an adequate supply of affordable rental housing for the lowest income renters. Further it finds a shortage of 7.2 million affordable and available rental homes for extremely low income renter households. Read the entire Maryland report here>>http://ow.ly/qIAg30jmpbN
- Exhibit opening at the National Building Museum April 14th “Evicted”. This immersive exhibition explores chronic eviction through new interviews, data, and photography, examining the reasons for and fallout from the more than 2.4 million American evictions each year. Please attend and share your experience. Admission is free. Learn more>> http://ow.ly/iWPM30jjXq6
- The “Opportunity Starts at Home” campaign launched this month at the Housing Policy Forum focuses on critical intersections between affordable housing and many other sectors and the centrality of affordable housing to personal well-being. Learn more >>http://ow.ly/6Fw430jbFj7
- 2016-17 Self Sufficiency Indicators Report for Howard County, MarylandÂ
- A report by the Association of Community Services, which provides an overview of the challenges faced by Howard County’s most economically vulnerable households as they strive to provide for the basics of day-to-day living in the areas of finance, housing, food, child care and health care
- Bridges to Housing Stability March 2017 Newsletter
- Bridges to Housing Stability December 2016 Newsletter
- Bridges to Housing Stability August 2016 Newsletter
- 2016 Annual Homeless Assessment Report (AHAR) to Congress A report by U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development highlighting 2016 national, state, and CoC-level PIT and HIC estimates of homelessness, as well as estimates of chronically homeless persons, homeless veterans, and homeless children and youth.
- 2016 Report on State of Homelessness in America A report by the National Alliance to End Homelessness charting progress in ending homelessness in the United States.
- Out of Reach: 2016 Report on Maryland The National Low Income Housing Coalition’s report detailing current housing statistics in Maryland.