Position Title: Senior Accountant
Department: Finance and Administration
Supervisor: Director of Finance & Administration
Bridges to Housing Stability is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization based in Howard County, MD. Our mission is to prevent homelessness by providing effective services and compelling advocacy that results in housing stability for Howard County households. Our vision is for a healthy and affordable Howard County community in which every family has a home and can experience the stability necessary to contribute to and benefit from their physical community. For more details, please see www.bridges2hs.org.
The Senior Accountant is responsible for general ledger management, account reconciliation, cash receipts processing, depreciation and accruals, restricted asset releases, A/R collections, preliminary monthly accounting cycle closing, all financial records and grant accounting and reporting.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop and maintain financial record keeping and reporting systems, ensuring the accounting of revenues and expenses are performed in an accurate, efficient and timely manner in conformity with GAAP.
- Maintain accounts payable, accounts receivables, cash receipts and general ledger functions; ensuring that all general ledger accounts are reconciled to subsidiary records on a monthly basis.
- Monitor and follow-up on receivables that have been outstanding for unusually long periods of time.
- Reconcile bank accounts, prepare related journal entries and follow-up on any unusual items.
- Regularly monitor cash flow and investments.
- Prepare and assure the accuracy of monthly financial statements and reports including balance sheet, profit/loss statements, statement of cash flow and accumulative general ledger using a computer-based accounting system.
- Maintain fixed assets database including preparing purchase and disposition journal entries, depreciation entries, maintain depreciation schedule, updating asset accounts, utilizing fixed asset accounting software
- Prepare monthly closing general ledger entries.
- Prepare various federal and state reporting requirements
- Support the needs of the independent auditor to complete annual audits.
- Prepare and manage invoices as requested.
- Complete financial grant reports as assigned.
- Consistently adhere to a system of internal controls
- Attend monthly finance committee meetings
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of Finance and Administration and/or Executive Director
This position requires a Bachelor’s Degree in accounting and/or minimum of ten years’ experience in accounting and/or finance, preferably with a non-profit organization (CPA preferred). A high degree of knowledge regarding payroll, grant accounting, and Quickbooks is preferred. Solid written and verbal communication skills, ability to pay attention to detail and maintain confidentiality, strong interpersonal skills and commitment to working with a diverse staff are essential to successfully carry out the duties of this position.
Diversity in organizational practices is a core value of Bridges to Housing Stability resulting in culturally competent services, materials, resources, and programs. Our hiring and business practices appreciate the strengths offered through different backgrounds. Please forward cover letter, resumes and salary requirements to Director of Finance and Administration at Stefan@bridges2hs.org.